#ContactForm1{ display: none ! important; }

Pages

Monday, October 05, 2009

walk don't run

One of my all-time favorite films is Walk Don't Run with Cary Grant. In it, the romantic lead (not Cary Grant, by the way) is in Tokyo for the Olympics. His event is not revealed until he competes.

Walking.

That's right, he was a speed walker. I used to jest over this endlessly until one day it dawned on me that walking could be my ticket to the Olympics someday. Running is most emphatically not my thing, but I do enjoy walking at a brisk pace.

With this in mind, I went for a pseudo-Olympic paced stroll along the Scioto River today. Along the eastern bank there is a park with paths and grassy knolls in abundance. The people watching was pretty great, too. Cars were parked along the path housing countless individuals who wanted nothing to do with the beautiful fall day. A charming late-middle aged woman chowing down on a drive-thru burger. A guy taking a late morning nap in his dingy Ford Taurus. The proper businessman in his flashy Mustang pulled into a spot for a phone call. Good times...

I really love the parks here in Columbus. Nature and city seem to fuse together seamlessly, a feature I am greatly enjoying after living on the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains for who knows how many years. It takes nothing but a left turn in most places here to find yourself in a botanical oasis. It's absolutely wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. I fully support walking. If walking could be a profession, I'd totally aim for that.

    Take some sweet pics on you walks and let's swap!

    Also: Fame. What did you think? (We'll have to have our cultural debates electronically now)

    ReplyDelete